Monday, December 31, 2007

End Of My Rope

I have reached the end of my rope. I can't stand not feeling healthy for one minute longer. So I decided to do something about it. Last night I found a website that sells vitamins for super cheap. So I got Scott more mutli-vitamins, I bought myself some high vitamin Cod Liver Oil, and a new book called We Want To Live. I also started a couple of new techniques last night.

The first one is a different facial washing technique. I found out that Pro-Activ is a three step process that basically uses fancy equivalents to 1)Rubbing alcohol, 2) An astringent/toner, and 3)Hydrogen Peroxide. So I started that last night on my face, chest and back. I am supposed to do it twice a day; it will be interesting to see if there is a difference. What do I have to lose? The worst that will happen is that I won't clear up my acne, and I am already pretty used to that.

The other new techinque that I started last night is called Oil Pulling (OP). I had never heard of it before, but I am really excited about it. The basic premise is that you swish a tablespoon of sunflower or sesame oil in your mouth for 20 minutes, but you have to do it on an empty stomach. You can do it up to three times a day, most people only do it first thing in the morning. I was so excited about trying it that I did it last night before bed, but I will probably only do it in the mornings from now on. Last night, I noticed little difference other than almost puking when I first tried swishing the oil. It really has little to no flavor, but a big mouthful of oil is a strange sensation, and one that my stomach and I did not agree on. But I persevered. I chose to not spit, but to step out into the cold and take some deep relaxing breaths, and wait for the pukey feeling to pass. It did, and quite quickly once I calmed myself down mentally. I swished for the whole 20 minutes (not an easy task, my cheeks became quite sore). I didn't notice much of a difference once I spit, other than my mouth felt fresh, like I had just gone to the dentist. I also noticed it felt like I had just flossed my teeth. And I started coughing/had some phlegm try to come out of my throat. But that was the extent of it.
So this morning I did it again. This time, though, I felt some plaque break free! I could feel the grit swishing around. This is plaque that even the dentist couldn't get because a couple of my bottom teeth are crooked and VERY close together. When I was finally able to spit (after 20 minutes, ok, 19 minutes), I couldn't believe how much whiter my teeth looked. And they feel even smoother. They are also already less senstive to temperature changes. My sinuses have begun draining, I didn't even realize how stuffed up I was! I hate to say it, but my skin looked clearer too, and with a bit of a "glow" that I haven't seen since I was pregnant. :)
After you OP, you are supposed to "wash" your mouth. You aren't supposed to use toothpaste, according to some sources. I use tooth powder anyhow (awesome!), so that wasn't a problem. (I quit using "regular" toothpaste a long time ago because it gave me bad breath. I ran out of tooth powder at one point, and almost immediately after I used the toothpaste I got two cankersores. I have never had a single canker sore with the tooth powder.)
There is quite a bit of controversy over OP and how/why it works. Honestly, I don't care. It seems to give me a better feeling and looking mouth, and if it clears up my acne, too, well, so much the better. Here is the website that I got my information from, if you are interested:

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

2 comments:

Christina said...

Hi, I'm from Ravelry, I'm stringtwosticks. Did oil pulling help? I'm interested in this method for allergy relief.

Pirate Monkey said...

Dear Stringtwosticks,

First of all, I am going to have to look you up on ravlery later! Secondly, I haven't oil pulled in quite a while. I got into the bad habit of not getting up early enough in the morning. Your question kind of kicked me in the butt. After I read my original post, all I am left with is the question: "Why on Earth did I stop, if things were feeling so great after only 2 days?" So, tomorrow morning, I will be back at my oil pulling routine. I will let you know how it goes the second time around. :)